From Bournemouth to Guangzhou: My Turing Scheme Experience
About me
Hi! I'm Taisiia Leliakova, a Master's student in Management with Business Analytics at Bournemouth University.
In the summer of 2026, I had the incredible opportunity to take part in the Turing Scheme and spend two weeks at Guangzhou College of Commerce in China. During this programme, I attended academic lectures, visited innovative companies, explored Chinese culture, and worked alongside students from different backgrounds.
This blog is a reflection of my journey—from preparing for my first trip to China, to adapting to a completely new environment, and discovering experiences that have shaped both my personal and professional development. I hope it provides a genuine insight into what participating in the Turing Scheme is really like and inspires other students to consider studying abroad.
Taking the First Step
When I first heard about Bournemouth University's Turing Scheme opportunity to visit Guangzhou College of Commerce in China, I immediately knew it was something I wanted to experience. I have always been interested in understanding how businesses operate in different parts of the world. China, with its rapid economic growth, technological innovation and unique culture, seemed like the perfect place to broaden my perspective.
Although I was excited, I also had plenty of concerns before travelling. It was my first time visiting China, and everything felt unfamiliar. I was worried about the language barrier, using Chinese payment systems, navigating a completely different culture, and even something as simple as finding food that would suit my diet. Preparing for such a long journey felt both exciting and intimidating.
The Turing Scheme made this opportunity possible by providing financial support that reduced many of the barriers to participating. It allowed me to focus on preparing for the experience rather than worrying about whether I could afford it.
Looking back now, I realise that this journey became much more than an overseas study programme. It was an opportunity to challenge myself, meet people from different backgrounds, gain new academic knowledge and experience a culture that was completely different from anything I had known before.
Preparing for China
Preparing for my trip to China involved much more than booking flights and packing a suitcase. Since it was my first time travelling to the country, I spent several weeks researching what to expect and making sure I was fully prepared.
One of the biggest tasks was applying for my Chinese visa. Although the process was straightforward, it required careful planning and making sure all the necessary documents were completed correctly before my departure. Receiving support through the Turing Scheme and Bournemouth University made the process much less stressful and gave me confidence that I was well prepared before travelling.
Another important part of my preparation was learning about everyday life in China. I quickly realised that many of the apps and services I use every day in the UK would not work in the same way. Before leaving, I set up Alipay and WeChat for payments, purchased an eSIM to ensure I had internet access as soon as I landed, and downloaded translation tools to help overcome the language barrier.
Packing also required much more thought than I expected. Guangzhou's hot, humid climate is very different from the UK, so I had to buy lightweight clothing suitable for temperatures above 30°C and frequent rainfall. I also packed essential medicines and other travel necessities to make sure I was well prepared for any unexpected situations during the trip.
Although I felt excited about the opportunity, I was also nervous. Travelling to a country with a different language, culture, and way of life felt like stepping far outside my comfort zone. Looking back now, all the preparation was worthwhile—it allowed me to enjoy the experience from the moment I arrived instead of worrying about practical details.
First Impressions Guangzhou College of Commerce
After a long journey from the UK, arriving in Guangzhou was both exciting and slightly overwhelming. From the moment I stepped out of the airport, everything felt different. The warm, humid air was the first thing I noticed, followed by the impressive skyline, modern transport system, and the fast pace of city life.
One of my biggest surprises was how advanced everyday life was. Almost everyone used mobile phones to pay for goods and services, public transport was efficient and easy to navigate, and the city felt incredibly clean and well organised. Although I had prepared as much as possible before travelling, experiencing it in person was completely different.
Despite being thousands of miles away from home, I quickly began to feel welcomed by the friendly organisers and students, which helped ease the nervousness of arriving in a completely new country.
Academic Programme
One of the most valuable aspects of the programme was the opportunity to learn in an international academic environment. Throughout the two weeks, we attended a variety of lectures and workshops covering topics such as Chinese business, innovation, entrepreneurship, artificial intelligence, and international trade. Each session provided a different perspective on how businesses operate in one of the world's largest economies.
What I particularly enjoyed was that the programme was highly interactive. Rather than simply listening to lectures, we were encouraged to ask questions, participate in discussions, and share our own opinions and experiences. This created an engaging learning environment where students from different countries could exchange ideas and learn from one another.
Many of the sessions connected directly with topics I have studied during my Master's degree in Management with Business Analytics. Seeing how technology, data, innovation, and business strategy are applied within the Chinese context gave me a broader understanding of global business practices and highlighted the importance of adapting management approaches to different cultural and economic environments.
The programme also emphasised teamwork and communication. Through group activities and presentations, I had the opportunity to collaborate with students from different cultural backgrounds, improving not only my communication skills but also my confidence in working within international teams.
This academic programme offered much more than theoretical knowledge. It provided practical insights into China's business environment while encouraging collaboration, critical thinking, and cross-cultural understanding. It was an inspiring learning experience that complemented my university studies and broadened my perspective on international business.
Company Visits
One of the highlights of the programme was the opportunity to learn beyond the classroom through visits to leading organisations and innovation centres across Guangzhou. These experiences allowed us to explore how technology, research, business, and culture come together to support China's rapid development.
Our first visit was to the Guangzhou Science & Innovation Zone, where we were introduced to one of the city's major innovation hubs. We learned about Guangzhou's commitment to technological development, entrepreneurship, and attracting high-tech industries. It was fascinating to see how innovation is supported through collaboration between businesses, universities, and government initiatives.
Another memorable visit was to the International Nanotechnology Innovation Research Institute (INI). During the visit, we explored how nanotechnology research is translated into real-world applications across different industries. It was inspiring to see how scientific research contributes to technological advancement and commercial innovation, demonstrating the close relationship between academia and industry.
We also visited CVTE (Guangzhou Shiyuan Electronic Technology Company), a global technology company specialising in intelligent display and communication solutions. Learning about the company's innovative products, international operations, and approach to research and development provided valuable insight into how Chinese technology companies compete in the global market.
Another memorable visit was to Guangdong Finance and Trade Vocational College, where we participated in a traditional Chinese batik workshop. Learning about this recognised intangible cultural heritage and creating our own batik artwork gave us a deeper appreciation of Chinese culture and demonstrated how traditional crafts continue to be valued and taught in modern educational institutions.
In addition to these visits, exploring the Guangdong Museum and Canton Tower helped us better understand Guangzhou's history, culture, and rapid urban development. These experiences provided important context for everything we learned throughout the programme, showing how the city's cultural heritage exists alongside its modern economic growth.
Together, these visits transformed classroom learning into real-world experience. They allowed me to see how innovation, research, business, and culture are interconnected, while also giving me a deeper understanding of China's economic development and global influence.
Culture
One of the most rewarding aspects of the programme was the opportunity to experience Chinese culture first-hand. Before travelling, most of my knowledge of China came from books, documentaries, and social media. Being able to immerse myself in everyday life gave me a much deeper understanding of the country's traditions, values, and way of life.
Throughout the programme, we participated in a variety of cultural activities that introduced us to both traditional and modern China. We explored historic landmarks, visited museums, experienced traditional Chinese calligraphy, practised Tai Chi, and took part in a batik workshop. These activities helped me appreciate the importance of preserving cultural traditions while embracing innovation and modern development.
One of my favourite experiences was visiting the Guangdong Museum, where I learned more about the history of Guangdong Province and its cultural heritage. Visiting Canton Tower, one of Guangzhou's most recognisable landmarks, offered a completely different perspective, showcasing the city's modern architecture and impressive skyline. Seeing these two sides of Guangzhou—the rich history and the rapid urban development—helped me understand how tradition and innovation coexist in modern China.
I was also impressed by the friendliness and hospitality of everyone involved in the programme. Whether during classes, cultural activities, or everyday interactions, people were welcoming, patient, and always willing to help. Although I was initially worried about the language barrier, I quickly realised that kindness, curiosity, and a willingness to communicate can overcome many differences.
This experience encouraged me to step outside my comfort zone and become more open to new perspectives. It reminded me that experiencing another culture is not only about visiting famous places but also about understanding how people live, learn, and interact with one another. It is something that can only truly be appreciated by experiencing it first-hand.
Food
One of the things I was most curious—and slightly nervous—about before travelling to China was the food. As someone who follows a special diet, I wasn't sure how easy it would be to find meals that suited my dietary requirements. I had heard that Chinese cuisine could be very different from what I was used to in the UK, so I wasn't sure what to expect.
Fortunately, I quickly discovered that Chinese cuisine offers much more variety than I had imagined. While some dishes were spicy or unfamiliar, there were also many delicious options that suited my preferences. Throughout the programme, I enjoyed trying different meals, including steamed dishes, noodles, rice, dumplings, soups, fresh vegetables, and a variety of traditional Chinese teas. Having the opportunity to experience authentic local cuisine became an important part of understanding Chinese culture.One of the highlights was sharing meals with other students and experiencing traditional Chinese dining customs. Meals were not only about the food itself but also about bringing people together. Sitting around a large table, trying new dishes, and talking with students from different countries created some of my favourite memories from the programme.
Looking back, trying Chinese cuisine became much more than simply eating different food. It was an opportunity to experience another culture, step outside my comfort zone, and discover flavours and traditions that I had never experienced before.
Personal Growth
When I applied for the Turing Scheme, I hoped to gain international experience and learn more about Chinese business and culture. Looking back, I achieved those goals, but I also gained something I had not expected—greater confidence in myself.
Travelling to China for the first time meant stepping far outside my comfort zone. Everything, from the language and payment systems to daily routines and cultural customs, was unfamiliar. At first, this felt intimidating, but I quickly realised that every new experience was an opportunity to learn. Each challenge I overcame made me more confident and independent.
Living and studying alongside students from different countries also helped me develop my communication and teamwork skills. Despite our different backgrounds and perspectives, we worked together successfully, shared ideas, and learned from one another. This experience reinforced the importance of being open-minded, adaptable, and respectful of different cultures—qualities that are essential in today's global business environment.
The programme also changed the way I view international opportunities. Before this experience, travelling to a country as different as China seemed challenging and, at times, overwhelming. After spending two weeks there, I realised that many of my initial concerns disappeared once I arrived. Instead of focusing on the differences, I learned to appreciate them and see them as opportunities for personal and professional growth.
This experience has also strengthened my career aspirations. It showed me the value of understanding different markets, working in multicultural environments, and developing a global perspective when approaching business challenges. I believe these skills will be valuable throughout my future career.
Most importantly, this journey reminded me that personal growth often begins by saying yes to opportunities that seem challenging. Taking part in the Turing Scheme pushed me beyond my comfort zone, broadened my perspective, and gave me memories, friendships, and experiences that I will carry with me long after the programme ended.
Advice for Future Students
If you're thinking about applying for the Turing Scheme, I would definitely encourage you to do it. Although travelling to a new country can feel intimidating, the experience is incredibly rewarding. Prepare in advance by researching your destination, organising your visa, and downloading useful apps before you travel. Most importantly, keep an open mind, take part in every activity, and make the most of every opportunity. The experience will help you grow both personally and professionally.
Final Reflection
Looking back, participating in the Turing Scheme was one of the most valuable experiences of my university journey. It broadened my academic and cultural perspectives, strengthened my confidence, and allowed me to build friendships with people from different backgrounds. I am grateful for this opportunity and would highly recommend it to any student looking to challenge themselves and gain an international perspective.
Comments
Post a Comment